New Trump campaign manager claims boss never insulted anyone

Donald Trump’s new spinster might be a little spun out.

Kellyanne Conway, promoted last week to be the mogul’s new campaign manager, denied Sunday that her new boss had ever insulted anyone.

“He doesn’t hurl personal insults,” Conway said on ABC’s “This Week.” “He, just this week — look what he talked about. He’s bringing the case right to communities of color in Michigan, and he’s speaking to all Americans when he does that. What he’s doing is he’s challenging the Democratic Party. He’s challenging President Obama and Hillary Clinton’s legacy.”

However, Donald Trump’s signature feature as a candidate has been his ability to degrade women, decorated war veterans, his fellow competitors for the nomination, and almost everyone in between, with sharp, bombastic insults.

Since he launched his campaign in June 2015, Trump has called immigrants from Mexico “rapists” and drug-pushers, has suggested Fox News journalist Megyn Kelly was menstruating during the first GOP primary debate, said Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who served years in a prisoner-of-war camp in Vietnam was “not a war hero” and criticized Muslim-American Gold Star parents Khizr and Ghazala Khan.

He also created a litany of condensing and childish nicknames for his opponents, including “Lyin’ Ted” (Ted Cruz), “Little Marco” (Marco Rubio) and “Crooked Hillary” (Hillary Clinton).

Conway, nevertheless, appeared to forget each and every one of them.

“I don’t like when people hurl personal insults, that will never change,” Conway said. “I’m the mother of four small children. That would be a terrible example for me to feel otherwise.”

Stephen Bannon had been the executive chairman of Breitbart News.

Stephen Bannon had been the executive chairman of Breitbart News.

(Gerald Herbert/AP)

But when Conway, who earlier in the cycle ran a Super PAC supporting Cruz, was confronted with video evidence of her own criticism of the mogul’s repeated use of insulting gaffes, she did her best Trump impersonation and suddenly changed her tune.

Conway was shown a clip of herself calling Trump “vulgar” back in February, and was then asked if she stood by the statement.

“I do,” she replied.

Conway also reiterated the vague apology Trump issued last week in North Carolina, further signaling her hypocrisy.

Trump said last week in North Carolina that “sometimes in the heat of debate, and speaking on a multitude of issues, you don’t choose the right words or you say the wrong thing … and believe it or not, I regret it — and I do regret it — particularly where it may have caused personal pain.”

Trump didn’t discuss whom he was addressing, and when Conway was asked about it Sunday, she wouldn’t either.

“He has said that he wants to regret any time he has caused somebody personal pain by saying something that he didn’t intend to cause personal pain,” Conway told ABC. “And I think those who have received it privately should take that expression of regret for them.”

AUG. 16, 2016 FILE PHOTO

Donald Trump shook up his campaign this past week, bringing in Conway and Bannon.

(Gerald Herbert/AP)

“So he’s called the Khan family? He’s called John McCain and apologized?,” “This Week” host George Stephanopoulos asked.

“No, he has expressed this regret publicly and said, ‘If I have caused you personal pain,’ that can include me, that can include you, that he regrets that,” Conway said.

Conway, along with former Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen Bannon were given the reins to the Trump campaign last week in a campaign shakeup that came amid plummeting poll numbers and massive defections among GOP lawmakers.

Some political insiders have regarded the new Trump regime as a good-cop-bad-cop ploy for the campaign that would allow Bannon, whose alt-right site had made no secret about appealing to racist elements, to continue building Trump’s base among the fringe, while Conway can help the mogul pivot publicly to build support among the moderate right-of-center crowd.

To that end, Conway on Sunday appeared to further walk back Trump’s controversial proposal to create a “deportation force” to help kick out of the country millions of undocumented immigrants.

“To be determined,” Conway said on CNN’s “State of the Union,” after she was asked whether her boss still would create such a force.

“What he supports is to make sure that we enforce the law, that we are respectful of those Americans who are looking for well-paying jobs, and that we are fair and humane for those who live among us in this country,” she said.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Top News

About the author